Thursday, March 1, 2012

Selig stands by his style

Milwaukee Lakefront Skyline
     After six years without a commissioner, baseball will finally elect one Thursday, and the lone candidate is the man who said early and often that he didn't want the job -- Milwaukee Brewers owner Bud Selig. 
      "I really meant that,'' Selig said Monday. "I love what I was doing. Many had said to me they wanted me to stay in some capacity. We argued. The rest is history.'' 
    So Allan Huber Selig won't be acting commissioner for life, after all. Having watched Bowie Kuhn, Peter Ueberroth and Fay Vincent enrage owners with controversial actions, and A. Bartlett Giamatti become bogged down with Pete Rose, Selig decided the best decisions are often no decisions. He preferred to wait for a consensus to develop. Sometimes, that meant problems festered and opportunities were lost. 
      "I don't accept that criticism,'' he said. "When you look back at the last five years, it's been the most active five years in baseball history.'' 
      Going into Thursday's owners meeting in Chicago, he was still avoiding direct questions regarding why he changed his mind about the job.
      "The stakes today are clearly higher than they've ever been,'' he said. "You're better off trying to develop an understanding in people, so when you get to a meeting, they understand the issue. I understand it when people say it takes too long -- I'm an impatient person myself. But times are different. People have a lot at stake. For people to think you can come in and arbitrarily make a decision -- you can't.'' 

No comments:

Post a Comment