Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Tomjanovich's `Dream' Comes True


Milwaukee River
     Rockets Coach Rudy Tomjanovich was named yesterday to coach the United States' Dream Team for the 1998 FIBA World Championships of Basketball.
     The international competition takes place every even-numbered year when there are no Summer Olympics. Next year's event will take place July 29 to Aug. 9 in Athens.
     "I just have to say I'm extremely flattered, because there are so many great coaches out there, and one of the biggest honors you can have is to represent your country in the World Games," Tomjanovich said. DUNLEAVY OUT: Mike Dunleavy resigned as GM of the Bucks, a year after being fired as coach. Dunleavy completed five seasons of an eight-year contract that was to have carried him through 1999-2000. The Bucks have missed the NBA playoffs the past six seasons. Dunleavy wants to pursue an NBA head coaching job, Milwaukee vice president John Steinmiller said. "I am sorry that I did not get to accomplish what I and the organization wanted -- to get back into the playoffs," Dunleavy said in a statement. NO BLAZE OF GLORY: The Trail Blazers may be in the playoffs, with a younger, more exciting and more successful team, but fewer people are buying tickets, the Oregonian reported. The newspaper said the Blazers' average paid attendance, not including club seats and executive suites, fell 7.3 percent from 17,890 last season to 16,575 in the 1996-97 season. Blazers officials would not confirm those numbers, but they admitted that paid attendance has declined. The Blazers still enjoy stronger fan support than just about any NBA team. Although Portland, Ore., is the league's 24th-largest market, the Blazers finished the season trailing only Charlotte and Chicago in attendance. AWARD: Heat F P.J. Brown won the J. Walter Kennedy Citizenship award, given each year by the Pro Basketball Writers Association to the NBA player, coach or trainer in recognition of outstanding community service and charitable work.

No comments:

Post a Comment