![]() |
| Milwaukee at night |
John Hammond slipped into the suite where Joe Dumars
was sitting when the Detroit Pistons' general manager began rattling off ideas
for the future.
Hammond stopped the Friday night chat when Dumars
slipped up.
"He said, 'I was looking at our team and I think we
need this.' I said, 'What do you mean our team?' " recalled Hammond,
introduced as the Milwaukee Bucks new GM Saturday.
Hammond, who spent the last seven seasons in Detroit
as the vice president of basketball operations, said the time was right to move
to a new challenge.
"I'm anxious, I'm real anxious, and I think
that's healthy to be anxious," Hammond said. "A little fear is
healthy, to say I want to do this. I want to do this in the worst way."
Bucks owner and Sen. Herb Kohl is giving Hammond a five-year
contract to turn around a team that's made just one playoff appearance in the
last four seasons and one Eastern Conference final since 1986.
"We have work to do, but we think this is a great
opportunity that we can get better, we can improve," said Hammond, who is
replacing Larry Harris after he left the team March 19.
Hammond twice met with Kohl beginning Tuesday with a
follow-up interview Thursday.
"There was a quick feeling ... that this was the
man for us," Kohl said. "You know it when you see it."
After his news conference, Hammond posed for pictures.
"I guess this is the honeymoon, huh?" he
said.
The honeymoon will quickly be over, beginning with the
coaching staff.
Hammond said he hasn't made any decisions about Larry
Krystkowiak, who has a year left on his first NBA coaching contract.
"I know Larry, I know a lot of people who know
Larry," Hammond said. "There aren't better people than Larry
Krystkowiak."
But Hammond also has worked with well-known coaches
like Larry Brown and Rick Carlisle during his time in Detroit and could make a
move. He'll also have roster issues to deal with. First off, a majority of the
Bucks are signed through 2009 and they already have more than $60 million
committed in salary next season.
"We may make a move that people might question at
times, and people may not agree with or think it's the wrong thing and it might
be considered unpopular," Hammond said. "Maybe we do it sooner than
later."
Hammond watched the Bucks fall to the New Jersey Nets
111-98 Saturday night in his first game on the job, Milwaukee's sixth straight
loss.
Richard Jefferson scored 24 points and Vince Carter
added 21 for the Nets.
Desmond Mason led Milwaukee with 18 points, while
Michael Redd, the Bucks' leading scorer, took only seven shots and finished
with 12 points in 29 minutes.
New Jersey 26 28 30 27 - 111 Milwaukee 27 26

No comments:
Post a Comment